Wednesday, April 27, 2016

A Cookbook with a Path to Healthy Eating

My favorite idea from this cookbook is to plan your meals thinking about nutrition rather than calories. The authors give good suggestions for how to implement that strategy. They start the book with their philosophy for eating well and eating healthy. If you think of eating healthy as lots of tasteless dishes with no sugar and little salt, you'll be surprised at how delicious these recipes are.

In addition to the philosophy of eating, the book gives you a one-week reboot program complete with menus and a shopping list. The menus contain snack items as well as main meals. I particularly like the snack recipes. Avocado Boats are one of my favorites.

We eat a lot of soup so I was delighted to try some of the soup recipes. Roasted Squash Soup is a favorite. I also like their suggestions for using leftovers in snacks and lunches. Many of the recipes call for Bone Broth. The authors provide a recipe, but it doesn't work well for people who eat little meat since it calls for six pounds of bones. If you typically shop at a supermarket instead of a butcher shop, it may not be easy to get bones, even if you're buying them separately from the meat.

The recipes are easy to follow and most of them don't take a great deal of time. The authors include tips that are useful in guiding you away from the more obvious mistakes, and the pictures are excellent. My dishes never look as delicious as the pictures, but I keep trying.

I highly recommend this book as a path to healthy eating.


I received this book from Blogging for Books for this review.  

No comments:

Post a Comment