Friday, November 9, 2012

A Year to Savor Chesterton



A Year With G. K. Chesterton is an excellent companion piece to The Quotable Chesterton. Kevin Belmonte, the editor of both works, has brought together snippets of Chesterton's work that will make you want to find the longer original works and dig in.

The book is designed as a devotional to be savored over the course of a year, but once you get to know Chesterson's delightful wit and the breadth of his scholarship you may find yourself sneaking in more than one piece. I had trouble putting the book down. I became fascinated, particularly, when Belmonte quotes for the same work on successive days.

The only problem I have with the book is that I would like to have the cites for the quotes used to expand on the scripture passages. It would make it much easier to track down the sources. I recommend this book highly for either the person familiar with Chesterton who wants a daily bite, but it is also good for anyone wanting to become familiar with this thinking. It's a real treat.

I reviewed this book for the Thomas Nelson Booksneeze Program.


No comments:

Post a Comment