Friday, April 13, 2012

A Story of Redemption, and for Parents and Teens, a Cautionary Tale


This is the story of a young man who had all the advantages. His parents are missionaries; his father, an evangelist. He grew up in a Christian home, but he had to test the limits. If you're a parent, the stories of his limit testing will make you cringe. I raised four boys, and I have to admit I held my breath through the early part of the book, wondering did my kids do this too?

I thought Andrew's tale of falling from grace through wanting to be popular, to be someone other people talked about was very enlightening. Many teens want this and they choose the same path Andrew chose. As parents, we need to be aware of the pitfalls. I'm certainly not blaming Andrew's parents. He, from the narrative, had exceptional parents, but it cautions us to be aware of how our children feel and perhaps to try to empathize with how much attention they need when they try to become somebody.

I thought this was an exceptional story. I applaud Andrew Palau for telling it in all it's heartrending detail. I highly recommend this book for parents of teens and for teens. No one needs to take Andrew's path to the Lord, but far too many children do.

I reviewed this book for NP BytheBook.  

No comments:

Post a Comment