Tuesday, October 18, 2011

A Smorgasbord of Options for Promoting Your Book


The Frugal Book Promoter answers the question that most of us ask after writing a book. How do I get readers? The question is particularly important for self-published authors and authors who have little to spend to help their publisher promote their book. The book publishing industry looks particularly daunting when you're trying to break in. So many authors, so many books, what can I do to get noticed?

Carolyn Howard-Johnson gives excellent advice on this dilemma. It feel like you have a knowledgeable consultant sitting in the room with you. The book is filled with classic techniques, such as writing releases, query letters, obtaining interviews, and much more. My favorites, however, are the chapters on the new techniques: blogging, using social media, taking advantage of the tools offered by Amazon, and your web page.

My favorite chapter is on why writers worry. Writers worry about many things including plagiarism, pirating of ebooks, being sued, and the big one: success or rejection. I think that once an author gets by these hurdles the rest becomes, if not easy, at least a mountain it's possible to scale.

I highly recommend this book. If you've written a book, it's got wonderful suggestions on what to do next. If you're afraid to let your book see the light of day, Carolyn's discussion of worries will make you less afraid. In the long run, this book will save you money and sleepless nights.  

9 comments:

  1. Actually Nancy, I almost didn't put the chapters on why writers worry into the book because it got so fat. But the way I figure it, if the worries keep writers from promoting or (worse!) from writing, then it's pretty essential.

    Thank you for this!
    Best,
    Carolyn Howard-Johnson
    Author of second edition of multi award-winning Frugal Book Promoter, www.budurl.com/FrugalBkPromo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good review Nancy. I agree with you about this book - it's really excellent and so down to earth and non-daunting, even when it's covering the latest, most novel technologies.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have this book, and I'm happy to say that in a few months I'm actually going to need it. I say, get it and avoid having anxiety dreams about how to promote your book.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for visiting! I'm so glad Carolyn didn't leave out those chapters on anxiety.I'll use them in my new murder mystery. It takes place at a writer's conference.

    Maggie, it really is a useful book. I'm so glad Carolyn did all the leg work so we can take advantage.

    Peggy, guess the book is timely for you. Good luck with your marketing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Nancy:

    Terrific review! I have the first edition and need to get the latest edition for the technology updates.

    All the best,
    Donna
    Award-winning Children’s Author
    Write What Inspires You Blog
    The Golden Pathway Story book Blog
    Donna M. McDine’s Website

    ReplyDelete
  6. Donna, you'll love the new edition. I thought the section of blogging and Amazon tools was terrific.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wonderful review, Nancy. I have the first edition also, and just received the new edition. I can't wait to dig in.

    Karen Cioffi Writing and Marketing

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks to all of you for the nice comments. And, yeah, Donna. It think the new edition has enought new stuff in it (and updates on the old stuff) that it's worth it to have the new one. And thanks, Karen, for getting the new edition. I just love, love, love the way it turned out. Mostly because I know it will be so helpful to so many!

    Again, thank you all!

    ReplyDelete