Wednesday, September 2, 2020

A Travel Writer Looks at the Deep South

 

Natchez is a microcosm of the old and new South. It’s a city peopled by eccentric millionaires, wealthy grande dames, and strong traditions, but with a history of slavery, and the KKK. However, today blacks are finding a bigger place in society. The present mayor is a gay black man.




I found the book fascinating from the description of the lavish social events often fund raisers that showcase the traditions of the wealthy. I was also interested in the history of the KKK and the story of a madam who was an FBI informant. I liked the story of the black Muslim prince who was captured in a raid and sold into slavery. He was finally freed after 40 years.


Growing up in the North I knew very little about the culture of this part of the South. It is both exotic and yet strangely familiar. There are exclusive enclaves with strict codes and eccentric residents in the North, also. I enjoyed the descriptions of Natchez, particularly the antebellum homes. The stories of the residents past and present were well written making me feel that I knew people in the city.


If you enjoy history and travel, this is a good book.


I received this book from Net Galley for this review.

No comments:

Post a Comment