Monday, July 23, 2012

A Humorous and Very Honest Look at A Woman Who Follows God's Call



Marcia is a delightful character. She's comfortable as a middle class housewife with her 100 year old house in New Jersey, but her husband desires more direct contact with the mission field. He returns from a trip to Guatemala full of zeal. Marcia isn't so sure. Throughout the book, I loved the way she talked to God and bargained with him. She wanted a sign before she'd agree to her husband's plans. I thought the most arresting incident was when they were trying to decide whether to take the pastor-ship at a Vermont Church. At this point, Marcia loved Guatemala and wanted to go back. A northern adventure wasn't on her radar. She said to God, all right, I'll know this is the right move if I hear someone speaking Spanish. Not a high possibility in Vermont, but it happened.

I enjoyed this book. It's an easy read. Marcia is committed to her faith and obviously has a special relationship with God, but the book is more than a testimonial. It gives a good picture of the problems of the Mayans in Guatemala. They're people, delightful people, but they have so little.

I highly recommend this book. It will open your eyes to the good work done by Christian missions. It will also allow you to meet an extraordinary woman with a special relationship with God. I hope I would be as willing to follow the dictates of the Lord.

I reviewed this book for the Thomas Nelson Booksneeze Program.


No comments:

Post a Comment