Tuesday, September 12, 2017

A Memoir of the Restaurant Business

Jan Agg owns bars and restaurants. Perhaps the one most people have heard of is The Black Hoof in Toronto. It’s a restaurant and bar that specializes in charcuterie. I have never been to a bar specializing in serving a selection of spicy meats, but it sounds delicious.

The book is the story of how Jen found her passion in developing and owning great restaurants. It’s not an easy life to provide delicious food for a varied clientele, but according to Jen, it can be very satisfying. The story covers her early life, first marriage, and subsequent success in the restaurant business with her second husband. I enjoyed the history. It’s good to read about people overcoming obstacles to achieve success, However, I found the amount of time devoted to her early life less interesting than the rest of the book.

My favorite chapters were the first two where she describes her method of running a restaurant and takes you behind the scenes to discuss how she expects her servers to act and how she keeps the restaurant functioning at top speed
.

The author has a great many opinions and is not afraid to share them This makes the book fun to read. She’s also quite open about her sexual experiences. This doesn’t have much to do with her success as a restaurateur, so if you’re offended by her frankness, you can skip those parts.

I recommend this book. It’s a lively memoir and gives a very interesting picture of the restaurant and bar business. I found myself looking more carefully at the service in the restaurants I enjoy.

I received this book from Viking/Penguin for his review.



No comments:

Post a Comment