Saturday, September 8, 2012

How Moses Foreshadows Jesus: The Lamb of God by Nancy Guthrie


Nancy Guthrie follows the story of Moses through Exodus, Leviticus, Numbers and Deuteronomy showing how the life of Moses foreshadows the life of Christ. It's a fascinating study. For me, this book provided a way of looking at the Old Testament and it's connection to the New Testament in a comprehensive way I hadn't thought about before. I was, obviously, aware of both the story of Moses and that of Christ, but I hadn't realized how many incidents in Moses life paralleled events in the life of Christ. It makes Jesus statement “For if you believed Moses, you would believe me; for he wrote of me.” (John 5:46) come alive.

The book offers a personal study guide for a ten week review of the Pentateuch. Each chapter is divided into a personal study guide listing passages from the Bible relevant to the topic of the chapter, a teaching chapter in which the author lays out her thesis, and a discussion guide. Although the discussion guide would be most useful in a group situation, I found it also provided ideas for personal meditation.

The book is very readable, interspersing personal observation with passages from the Bible. The observations from the author make this much more than a simple presentation of relevant passages and explanation. I felt the personality of the author behind the words and that made it much more enjoyable reading.

I highly recommend this book for either personal study, or a Bible study group. It would be excellent for either or both.

I reviewed this book for Crossway.  

No comments:

Post a Comment