Sunday, November 13, 2011

An Occult Western



Lucas McCade, superstar rodeo cowboy, has retired and taken a job in Oklahoma at the Falling Star Ranch. His wife is delighted, but his teenage son, Connor, isn't pleased. He's missing his friends and his plans for playing for the Texas Longhorns. The McCades settle in. The ranch is lovely, and they've found a church, but something is ominous. Not everyone is who they seem and evil hides even in the sanctuary of the church.

The plot is interesting, combining all the elements of a western with the occult. I thought I would enjoy it, but the structure of the book left a lot to be desired. The characters are cliches; the superstar who is a regular guy, the rebellious teenager, the beautiful girl and her disturbed counterpart.

The setting is interesting, but there is way too much description. Every time we meet a new character we have to hear what he or she is wearing, etc. I found that too much description slowed the story and didn't add much to the understanding of the characters.

I can't recommend this book. It purports to be a Christian book, but there are many too many curse words, and the Christian element, for me, is thinly veiled. The book starts realistically enough, but ends with what one can only describe as unrealistic melodrama.

I reviewed the book as part of the Thomas Nelson Booksneeze Program.

2 comments:

  1. I agree with your review wholeheartedly. I gave the book 1 star on my post at amazon with the foul language being the reason. I got a nasty comment on my review because of this. I appreciate that I am not the only who would rather not see curses and swears in the books I read.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think gratuitousness use of bad language is in poor taste, so I agree with you completely. Sorry you got a bad commment!

    ReplyDelete