Friday, August 19, 2011

Evidence of the Bible's Divine Inspiration


Has God Spoken?, takes the reader on a fascinating exploration of the evidence for the divine inspiration of the Bible. Hanefraaff covers a wide range of evidence: techniques for copying the manuscripts, archaeologist's findings, prophecies, and scriptural analysis. Some evidence is more persuasive than other evidence. However, I found the total package very enlightening.

My favorite discussion was about the discrepancies between the reports in the four gospels. Hanegraaff argues that like any reporters, even today, the authors selected what to tell in their manuscripts. Therefore small details, or differing emphasis, should not detract from their eyewitness accounts. To me, that is certainly a valid reading of human nature.

I did find his constant arguments with Ehrman annoying. It felt as if he were writing the book to refute the ideas of this particular man, and to me, Ehrman's reasoning is a little too precious to be convincing. I would have preferred it if the author had simply made his case without setting up an opponent.

I enjoyed the book very much. I didn't agree with all of it, but it was a good read. I recommend this book to anyone interested in learning more about the authenticity of the Bible.

I reviewed this book as part of the Thomas Nelson Booksneeze Program.

No comments:

Post a Comment