Saturday, May 20, 2023

A Novel of Theodore Roosevelt’s Life

 


Many biographies have been written about Theodore Roosevelt, and he himself was a prolific writer. In the present book, the author’s idea was to write a novel rather than another biography because he wanted the book to center on Roosevelt and what he thought and felt. In this spirit, the book begins with his early life. A spindly child who had severe asthma, his father wanted to harden him up. Much of Roosevelt’s later life particularly his time in the badlands was dedicated to physical fitness.


The book then moves to Roosevelt as an old man in interviews with his biographer Hagadorn. This device allows Roosevelt to tell the tales of his accomplishments and adventures and give his perspective. I think the device works well for what the author hoped to accomplish.


I enjoyed the book. It was well research and well written. However, I have a bias against putting ideas, feelings, and emotions into an historical character. I personally, don’t think it adds a great deal to the understanding of the real person. I have read several biographies of Roosevelt and personally didn’t think this book added much to my understanding of the man. Although I can’t highly recommend this book, it is an interesting take on Roosevelt’s response to his life.


I received this book from St. Martin’s Press for this review.

No comments:

Post a Comment