Thursday, April 7, 2022

Short Bios of the Women Who Made Their Mark in Comedy

 


The author is a man, but he does an excellent job of highlighting the lives and struggles of the women who made their names in comedy. It wasn’t easy for any of them. From vaudeville to television, these women had to fight hard to compete in a male dominated area.


Many of the women were familiar. I loved Phyllis Diller and Joan Rivers. My father’s favorite was Minnie Pearl. I can still remember her with her hats. Besides a trip down memory lane, these short bios highlighted how committed the women were and had to be to succeed. The women had to fight for recognition not only from audiences but from agents, directors, male comedians, and often their own families.


Each chapter is an in depth biography. I thought the author did an excellent job of bringing each woman to life with her successes and failures alike. I enjoyed the book. It’s a good addition to the history of women’s success in the professions that were once closed to them.


I received this book from Penguin Random House for this review.


No comments:

Post a Comment