Sunday, July 12, 2020

Wishing to Have Your Friend’s Life


Marie has always admired her friend Nina and wishes she had her life. It’s the life she wants for herself. When Nina dies of a terminal illness, she makes Marie promise to take care of her husband, Stuart, and her children, Felix and Emily. Marie enjoys being needed by Nina’s family. When her marriage comes apart, she moves to become even more central in their lives.

At first it seems Marie will have her heart’s desire. She can actually live Nina’s life, but Nina wasn’t perfect, and Marie discovers that she kept secrets. As Marie uncovers the secrets, she finds them entwined with her own life.

The story is told through Marie’s eyes. At times she seems to give the straight facts, but at others you wonder if she’s a faulty narrator. She a character I found hard to empathize with. In many ways, she seemed callous wanting to take over someone else’s life.

The story has many twists. Trying to figure out where the narrative was headed kept me reading. I admit I was surprised at the ending. I also found that I liked Marie less at the end. Her character didn’t improve for me.

If you enjoy psychological thrillers, you may enjoy this one. It can hold your attention even if the characters are not compelling.

I received this book from Harlequin for this review.

No comments:

Post a Comment